Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Son, the Wiizard

Wii is my son's passion.

Whenever 315 pm of a Friday school day arrives, he only has Wii and Wii in mind. He does not think of himself, he thinks only of Wii. The Wii bug bites him and it takes almost superhuman effort to pry Wii lose from him when it locks its cyberjaws upon him.

So I arrive there on that exact same minute and the first question he asks me is this "Can I play Wii ?" I ignore him because he already knows the answer to that question. "We'll see. After you eat, you can play."

But then he asked over and over and over again. "Can I ? Can I ? Can I, Dad ?" When you are driving 50 mph in a 45 mph freeway and you have this ringing sound in your ear, what do you do ? Do you ignore that question or do you just give in and say "Okay." in defeat ?

I am not and have never been a kill joy. In fact, as a parent I was the cool one. I let my kids enjoy themselves but of course I set my limits. Like this Wii thing, I only give the controller ( Thank God they are wireless, easier to hide them that way) weekends. Only Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. Thats it.

My Wiizard can whine he can all week long and I will just ignore him. Its very hard to do but after 2 weeks of ignoring him he learns that he can only get Wii on Friday afternoon after class and then Santa, that me, gets it and hides it in the North Pole (aka my closet).

But when that Friday ends then you better give him his Wii remotes or he will pester you, he will annoy you, he will repeatedly try your patience, he will remind you that you promised, he will say you're a liar and he will not stop until you relent. He reminds me of someone who relentlessly campaigned for That One until he has renders everyone numb and he succeeds in making himself a nuisance and a pest. But when my son, the Wiizard gets the key to Nintendo land, he is quiet the whole Wiikend.

All is good if you keep your promises. Persistence that is the key to getting what you want. Ask my son, the Wiizard.

No comments: